Professionals | 16/09/2018

3 - 5 in the RheinEnergieSTADION


The 1. FC Cologne once again delivered a spectacular game - but in a thrilling ending of the match, SC Paderborn kept the upper hand and won 5-3.

In a turbulent match in the RheinEnergieSTADION, the 1. FC Cologne suffered a 3-5 home defeat to SC Paderborn. Terodde (twice) and Cordoba scored the goals for the FC.

Newly promoted Paderborn played right from the start in Cologne courageously forward. Thus an open exchange of end to end action developed with chances for both teams. Dominick Drexler had the first good opportunity for FC, but his header from eleven yards narrowly missed the goal (6’). For the SC Paderborn, a Klaus Gjasula shot only went above the crossbar (7’), a little later, a Uwe Hünemeier header went just wide (10’).

All good things come in threes

The fans in the RheinEnergieSTADION collectively celebrated the 1-0 lead from Simon Terodde in the twelfth minute, but the cheers ended abruptly when referee Markus Schmidt decided offside. 15 minutes later, the 1. FC Cologne experienced a similar situation again: After a pass by Jonas Hector, Simon Terodde chipped the ball over SCP goalkeeper Leopold Zingerle into the net. And again the offside flag went up and it remained goalless 0-0 (27’). When Simon Terodde put the ball into the net for the third time after thirty-seven minutes, all eyes of the FC players went first to the assistant referee. This time the flag remained down and finally the FC lead 1-0.

The guests answer

But just one minute later, Babacar Gueye got the rebound and levelled the score to 1-1, after Timo Horn saved the shot from Michel (38’). And the second half continued the same way, end to end action. Initially with the better ‘cards’ for FC, as Simon Terodde scored his second, to regain the lead for FC after fifty-three minutes.  But the guests remained calm and continued their impressive performance and rewarded themselves with the 2-2 equalizer by Philipp Klement after sixty-six minute. A little later it was Klement with his second goal, to bring SC Paderborn for the first time in this game in front. First, the midfielder failed to convert at least a very questionable penalty, when Timo Horn was able to safe the ball, but the ball came back to him and ultimately he was able to get the ball into the net, to change the score to 2-3 (72’).

Turbulent ending

In the final minutes of the game, the events rolled over. FC substitute Jhon Cordoba scored the 3-3 (84') equalizer, with a fantastic 20-meter volley. Shortly thereafter FC captain Jonas Hector was shown a second yellow card and subsequently sent-off (87’) after a tactical foul. And after eighty-nine minutes in the game, the FC had to accept the next setback: Tekpetey scored the 3-4. One man down, the 1. FC Cologne pushed all men forward in order to find a late equalizer, but conceded the decisive 3-5 in injury time.


1. FC Cologne: T. Horn - Bader, Meré (77th Guirassy), Czichos, Hector - Höger - Clemens (77th Cordoba), Drexler, Schaub, J. Horn - Terodde (88th Sobiech)

SC Paderborn: Zingerle - Dräger, Hunemeier, Strohdiek, Collins - Tekpetey (90th Zolinski), Gjasula, Klement, Antwi-Adjei (88th Vasiliadis) - Gueye (78th Swede), Michel

Goals: 1-0 Terodde (37th), 1-1 Gueye (38th), 2-1 Terodde (53rd), 2-2 Klement (66th), 2-3 Klement (72nd), 3-3 Cordoba (84th), 3-4 Tekpetey (89th), 3-5 Michel (90th + 4)

Yellow cards: Czichos, Hector, Cordoba - Gjasula

Second Yellow card (followed by red card): Hector

Referee: Markus Schmidt


  • share


Total table
PL. Team Pt.
12 1. FC Union Berlin 20
13 1. FC Köln 20
14 Hertha BSC 19