Professionals | 11/09/2022

1:0 loss

Defeat to Union

1. FC Köln fell to a 1:0 defeat against Union Berlin on Sunday afternoon. Timo Hübers’ early own goal secured all three points for the visitors and a first Bundesliga defeat for FC.

Team news

Steffen Baumgart opted for five alterations from the side that started the draw in Nice. Benno Schmitz, Kristian Pedersen, Eric Martel, Linton Maina and Florian Dietz replaced Kingsley Schindler, Dejan Ljubicic, Jan Thielmann, Ondrej Duda and Steffen Tigges.

Urs Fischer also made five changes after Union’s defeat to Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in the UEFA Europa League. Frederik Rönnow, Danilho Doekhi, Niko Gießelmann, Genki Haraguchi and Kevin Behrens dropped out for Lennart Grill, Diogo Leite, Julian Ryerson, Andras Schäfer and Jordan Siebatcheu.

Behind at the break

The game couldn’t have started in much worse or much more eventful fashion from an FC point of view. After Sheraldo Becker got free on the left, his attempted cross was deflected past the helpless Marvin Schwäbe by Timo Hübers. Union continued to push and were awarded a questionable penalty for a Luca Kilian handball. Jordan Siebatcheu stepped up, but his centrally struck penalty was saved by Schwäbe.

Becker continued to cause trouble and managed to fire home at the back post after chaos in the FC box. The home players appealed for offside and after a VAR check, that was confirmed and the goal ruled out. Becker and Siebatcheu both went close again. Becker was halted by Marvin Schwäbe’s foot, while Siebatcheu headed wide from an excellent position on the six-yard box.

FC’s first real opening came after half an hour after Linton Maina’s strong effort was parried by Lennart Grill. The rebound almost fell to Florian Dietz but he couldn’t quite connect. Kristian Pedersen had the best opening just before the break. His header from Florian Kainz’s curling cross edged just past the upright.

Stale second-half

The second-half began with a change, as Florian Dietz was replaced by Steffen Tigges. Linton Maina almost levelled the scores two minutes after the restart, only to see Grill spread himself and deflect the ball behind. The second-half would be dominated by fouls on both sides as neither team were able to get into a meaningful rhythm which only stuttered further as the game went on.

Christopher Trimmel clipped the crossbar with a cross-cum-shot in the only other meaningful moment in the second period. FC’s chances to get something out of the game were only made more difficult after Luca Kilian was sent off for a second bookable offence. FC’s next match sees them take on 1. FC Slovacko in the UEFA Europa Conference League. Kick-off on Thursday evening at the RheinEnergieSTADION is at 21:00 CEST.


1. FC Köln (4-2-3-1): Schwäbe – Schmitz (Schindler 62‘), Kilian, Hübers, Pedersen (Ljubicic 62‘) – Skhiri, Martel – Maina (Adamyan 85‘), Hector, Kainz (Thielmann 75‘) – Dietz (Tigges 46‘).

1. FC Union Berlin (3-3-2-2): Grill – Jaeckel, Knoche, Diogo Leite – Trimmel, Khedira, Ryerson – Schäfer (Seguin 88‘), Haberer (Pantovic 64‘) – Siebatcheu (Michel 76‘), Becker (Behrens 76‘).

Goals: 0:1, Hübers (OG) 3’.

Referee: Benjamin Cortus (Röthenbach).

Booked: Knoche (53’), Pedersen (54’), Schindler (73’), Gospodarek (73‘), Baumgart (85‘).

Sent-off: Kilian (81’).

Attendance: 49,500.

  • share


Total table
81. FSV Mainz 0511
91. FC Köln10
10SV Werder Bremen9
Total table
11. FC Köln4
2Partizan Belgrade2