Junior | 05/06/2019

Thielmann thunderbolt seals victory

FC win first leg in Munich

1. FC Köln’s under-17s secured a 0:1 win away in Munich as they got the better of FC Bayern in their semi-final first-leg of the German Championship. Jan Thielmann’s superbly taken strike provide to be the difference in a closely-fought encounter.

Thielmann’s thunderbolt

FC began strongly with a high press and despite Bayern having the first chance of the game, as Malik Tillman shot wide, it was Martin Heck’s men who controlled the first half. Marvin Obuz was particularly impressive, forcing Manuel Kainz into an early stop before he went on a mazy run that ended in him firing just over.

Torben Rhein tried his luck from range but the calm and assured Daniel Adamczyk gathered well. Then came the opener that FC deserved. A cross seemed to squirm across the box and out of the reach of every, only for Jan Thielmann to storm in and send an outside-of-the-boot volley thundering into the back of the net. A special strike from a player who has shown his quality all season.

It could have been even better for FC towards the end of the first-half, as Florian Wirtz weaved his way forward and cracked the crossbar from 25 yards. That came just after Bayern went down to 10 men. As Obuz led the breakaway, Yusuf Kabadayi cynically hacked him down from behind. Dominic Mainzer showed no hesitation in producing the red card.

Brave defending secures the win

Bayern started the second half strongly and were constantly threatening from wide positions. Unfortunately for Miroslav Klose’s side, the rearguard action from FC was keeping them at bay. Adamczyk was strong when he needed to be and the both Yusuf Örnek and Dennis Dahmen were showing cool heads with their timely clearances.

The second-half lacked chances until the final stages as the teams began to tire and substitutes started to disrupt the flow. Bayern had a viable penalty appeal turned down as the ball appeared to strike the hand of an FC player in the box. They then wanted a second as one of their players went to ground far too easily, and the resulting protests saw two coaches sent to the stands.

FC could have added to their lead at the end as Bayern pushed further forward. A superb solo from Joshua Schwirten saw his effort blocked behind and Jens Castrop curled agonisingly wide in added time. However, the efforts of the first half were enough and Thielmann’s thunderbolt proved to be decisive. The semi-final second-leg takes place at Franz-Kremer-Stadion on Saturday at 11:00 CEST.


FC Bayern Munich (4-2-3-1): Kainz – Hofmann, Fust (Neziri 41‘), Tillman, Halbich, Lawrence (Reinelt 51’), Rhein, Brückner (Denk 70‘), Kabadayi, Herold (Motika 64‘).

1. FC Köln (4-2-3-1): Adamczyk – Sponsel, Örnek, Dahmen, Lanser – Papalia, Schwirten (Schmid 75‘) – Thielmann (Castrop 69‘), Wirtz (Alkan 80+3‘), Obuz – Jansen (Özden 51‘).

Goals: 0:1, Thielmann 17’.

Referee: Dominic Mainzer (Konz).

Booked: Thielmann (26'), Sponsel (49').

Sent-off: Kabadayi (34').

  • share


Total table
10Hertha BSC35
111. FC Köln34
12FC Augsburg31