Professionals | 25/09/2018

Intense Competition

Victory against Ingolstadt

1. FC Cologne won on Tuesday 2-1 against FC Ingolstadt. In an intense game, Simon Terodde scored both goals.

It was an intensive game in which the 1. FC Cologne fell behind - but in the end retained the upper hand. The 2-1 against FC Ingolstadt keeps FC on top of the table.

FC Ingolstadt new coach Alexander Nouri sat on the bench in RheinEnergieSTADION, who was officially unveiled only one day before as the successor of Stefan Leitl. "Even if the goal anthem was heard there many times recently, our objective is at any price, that we’ll not hear it at all," Nouri stated before the match. This plan worked very well in the first half, as the guests acted initially very defensive – the FC goal anthem was not heard in RheinEnergieSTADION.

However the FC came much closer for the lead in the first half than FC Ingolstadt. The first big opportunity came to Simon Terodde, when a rebounding ball came to him and his effort from ten meters just missed the guest goal by inches (10’). A short time after, the FC missed to score again very narrowly. After a Louis Schaub corner Lasse Sobiech put his header on top of the goal net (17’). And after twenty-seven minutes FCI goalkeeper Marco Knaller could save a header from Simon Terodde just with a strong reflex. The guests were seen quite rarely near the Cologne box until then, but became dangerous twice just before the break. Initially Sonny Kittel sharp free-kick was denied by Timo Horn (43’) and shortly after Rafael Czichos deflected a Darío Lezcano effort for a corner kick (45’).

More speed after the break
The guests had the better start into the second half. Timo Horn saved brilliantly a Sonny Kittel shot (47’), but a little later he was beaten by the Ingolstadt playmaker, who’s short went in the near corner. After fifty-nine minutes, the guests could even have doubled their lead, as the former FC player Marvin Matip hit the post with a header.

The game had picked up significantly after the break. After the FC had fallen behind, it took a moment to adjust, but then recovered quickly to move forward and create opportunities to level the game. And finally, after seventy minutes the FC goal anthem "Kölle Alaaf" was heard in the RheinEnergieSTADION. Marcel Risse was fouled in the penalty area, Simon Terodde kept calm and levelled the game from the spot.

Terodde got all the answers 
Both teams wanted the victory in the final phase of the game.  Timo Horn rescued in dire need by foot after seventy-six minutes against Darío Lezcano. On the other end it was again Simon Terodde, who turned the game for Cologne with his tenth goal of the season, heading home after a corner in the 85th minute. The guests threw everything forward once again in the final minutes of the game, but Timo Horn held the 2-1 firmly and secured three vital points for FC - and the championship lead.   

Game statistics

1. FC Cologne: T. Horn - Cracks, Sobiech, Czichos, J. Horn - Hoeger (84th Cordoba), Hector - Clemens (62nd Guirassy), Schaub, Drexler - Terodde (86th Oezcan)

FC Ingolstadt: Knaller - Matip, Schröck, Lucas Galvao - Krausse (87th Osawe), Gimber - Pledl, Kittel (80th  Roecher), Paulo Otavio - Benschop (71st Kutschke), Lezcano

Goals: 0-1 Smock (53’), 1-1 Terodde (70’), 2-1 Terodde (85’)

Yellow cards: Hector - Lezcano, Gimber, Krauße, Paulo Otavio

Arne Aarnink

Attendance: 45,900

  • share


Total table
PL. Team Pt.
12 1. FC Union Berlin 20
13 1. FC Köln 20
14 Hertha BSC 19