FC relegated to 2. Bundesliga


1. FC Köln were relegated to the 2. Bundesliga on Saturday afternoon at the Voith-Arena after a 4:1 defeat to 1. FC Heidenheim.

Team news

Bernhard Raab, in place of Frank Schmidt (planned operation), made two changes to the line-up from the draw against Freiburg. Tim Kleindienst and Lennard Maloney came into the side in place of Marvin Pieringer and Norman Theuerkauf.

Timo Schultz opted for five alterations to the side that earned a last gasp win against Union Berlin last time out. Benno Schmitz, Max Finkgräfe, Denis Huseinbasic, Luca Waldschmidt and Sargis Adamyan were replaced by Jan Thielmann, Dominique Heintz, Dejan Ljubicic, Linton Maina and Steffen Tigges.

First-half to forget

The first 45 minutes produced little in the way of chances, yet Heidenheim were cold and clinical in front of goal. They took the lead in the 16th minute thanks to Eren Dinkci’s deflected effort from 20 yards. The on-loan Bremen forward added to his tally after a mistake in midfield, running through on goal to finish past Marvin Schwäbe.

FC were unable to create any opportunities of note in the opening half hour. When it seemed like things couldn’t get any worse, they did. Kevin Sessa was given time to pick his spot from 25 yards and found the far corner to give Heidenheim a 3:0 half-time lead.

Tigges scores but Beste responds

The second-half began with two changes as Mark Uth and Damion Downs replaced Florian Kainz and Faride Alidou. Heidenheim were still the stronger side after the restart but FC battled back into the game and reduced the deficit after Steffen Tigges headed home from Rasmus Carstensen’s cross.

Mark Uth and Florian Dietz had further openings to score a second. However, Kevin Müller managed to get in the way at every opportunity. Jan-Niklas Beste found the top corner from 25 yards to put the game beyond any doubt.

The result means that FC will play in the 2. Bundesliga next season.


1. FC Heidenheim (4-2-3-1): Müller – Traoré, Mainka, Gimber, Föhrenbach – Schöppner (Thomalla 87‘), Maloney – Dinkci (Theuerkauf 79‘), Sessa (Pick 66‘), Beste (Pieringer 87‘) – Kleindienst.

1. FC Köln (4-2-3-1): Schwäbe – Thielmann (Carstensen 55‘), Hübers, Chabot, Heintz (Pacarada 62‘) – Martel, Ljubicic – Alidou (Downs 46‘), Kainz (Uth 46‘), Maina – Tigges.

Goals: 1:0, Dinkci 16‘. 2:0, Dinkci 22‘. 3:0, Sessa 36‘. 3:1, Tigges 64‘. 4:1, Beste 78‘.

Referee: Tobias Welz (Wiesbaden).

Booked: Kainz (30‘), Beste (52‘), Kleindienst (76’), Maina (77’).

Attendance: 15.000 (sold-out).